Monday, February 8, 2010

PTC student Lucas Pangerl "On a Mission"


Pine Technical College student Lucas Pangerl has skills. An accomplished sketch artist and rap/hip-hop performer at only 18, Pangerl’s immediate plan includes finishing the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum at PTC and transferring to an upper-division college or university to earn his bachelor’s degree in music performance or illustration. Pangerl, known on campus and in the community as "LP," is considering the Minneapolis College of Art and Design for a B.F.A. in illustration or a B.A. in music performance from either the Univ. of Minnesota’s School of Music or the McNally Smith College of Music.

"As an artist, I like to create, express and inspire," LP said. "I want to make a career in making music, and I also want to design my own CD covers."

Already, LP’s music draws a crowd on his Myspace page, where songs like "Life," "Ima Make it to the Top" and "I’m on a Mission" are available to listeners. In May, 2009, LP performed his first hit, "They Call Me LP" in front of a live audience – the entire Pine City High School student body.

"I couldn’t believe the response – they loved it!" LP said. "They were cheering, and they wanted an encore. Before that performance, I was nobody, but from that moment on, it was like I was instantly popular," LP added.

LP is working on the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum, a lineup of general education requirements that transfer to a variety of upper-division colleges, but in particular, LP indicated he looks forward to taking ARTS 1229, Introduction to the Visual Arts, since it is directly related to his field of study and career choice.

"I appreciate all forms of art, and since I am an artist, I’m definitely looking forward to learning more about the history of art and basic principles of art design," LP said. "I enjoy making music, but just as much, I like to sketch and illustrate," LP added. For more about LP and to hear his music, visit his Myspace page.


Image: LP's sketch of his first planned CD, "They Call Me LP."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awsome Luke! Way to go!!!

Mary Jo Muellner said...

Wow! I am so proud of how you have grown and am excited to see where you will go! mj