Monday, April 5, 2010

A hero among us: ECD student Ashley Nolen


PTC is especially proud of one student, Ashley Nolen, who saved a boy from busy traffic just a few days ago. Having just left PTC for the day, Nolen was driving south on Hwy. 61 and noticed a small boy running in and out of traffic.

"I saw him from a distance but didn't realize it was a little boy until I got closer," Nolen says. "I grabbed him and took him up a nearby driveway, where I assumed he lived, and a woman came running across the yard. I asked if the boy was hers, and she said 'Yes,' and thanked me. She was so happy nothing happened to her son and that I brought him home," Nolen explains.

Nolen says it looked like the boy was chasing after a dog, and as a student going into the Early Childhood Development program, she says she just couldn't ignore the situation.

"I just love children, and I know at that age, they haven't developed the ability to judge situations like that, and I just had to step in," Nolen says. "Although I haven't started the child development classes yet -- I'm taking Intro to Psych [sic] and Critical Thinking [sic] now -- I can't wait to jump into the CDEV lineup this fall," Nolen adds.

2 comments:

NickiLAM said...

Yeah, Ashley!

Unknown said...

Its astonishing how many other passerby's there were before you for the little boy to get that far. As a mother of small children, I totally understand that mother and how when you are looking for them in one area, they are going the entire different direction. Congrats to you for stopping and taking it upon yourself to help that family.