Monday, May 6, 2013

Annette Weaver, Child Care Aware staff member and mom, shares the importance of early learning and “star ratings”

Eleven years ago, when my first bouncing baby boy was getting ready to enter kindergarten, I thought I had everything all figured out. I was a working nine-to-five mom, and things were going along just fine. My job was great, and my son was even better.

We did all the normal things I thought parents were supposed to do: we sang the ABCs and 123s; we could name all the colors of the rainbow; and, altogether, my child was brilliant! And, I was the best mom he could ask for!

Our happiness came crashing down only a few short weeks into kindergarten. The school was calling to report there were problems with my child. He wasn't fitting in. He wasn't ready. He was behind. Each year the problems got worse. We had individualized education program (IEP) meetings regularly, as he was placed in special classes. But, there was nothing technically “wrong” with my child; he simply didn't do well in school from Day One.

Apparently, I did not prepare him for kindergarten. It’s a tough critique to take when you've worked so hard. You look at your child and think he's just as smart as every other child his age. At that point, I didn't even know what they meant by “he’s not ready.” He knew his letters! He knew his numbers!

And then, my second child came around, and I thought, “This child will be ready!” After all, I had five years to learn with the older one. Between a full-time job and working on my bachelor’s degree, I still managed to focus my energy on getting him prepared: letters, numbers, colors, shapes – now, I had it right! And, yet again, the phone calls started. I thought, “What was I doing wrong? Was it possible I had failed twice?” I felt defeated; how was I going to manage two children who are falling behind in school?

Now, with my firstborn a high school junior and finally off IEPs but still struggling, I've realized that I didn't do anything wrong; I just didn't know what to do right. I had no idea of all the factors involved in preparing my child for kindergarten, and, even if I had the time between jobs, school, and life, I'm not sure I would have been able to get them ready. No matter how hard we worked, they were always behind.

With my third child who is now three, I know how important it is that while I am working, he is learning. I simply cannot fit an entire day of learning experiences into a three-hour evening, no matter how hard I try. I get home about 5:30 p.m., and between dinner, homework, bath time, and life, there is no way, as a working parent, that I can teach my child what he needs to know. I have to rely on my child care provider to help me.

Getting ready for kindergarten isn't all about learning ABCs or 123s, and having years of experience behind me, I now know part of that learning relies on creating a nurturing environment where he feels safe and cared for. It’s about him having the opportunity to socialize and to play. It’s about him getting enough rest. It’s about him having opportunities to create and explore. And, it’s also about the ABCs and 123s.

For these reasons, my youngest is currently enrolled in a four-star Parent Aware-rated program, and, as a parent, I can't even begin to describe the peace of mind it brings. Every day, I can see his excitement, I can see he is learning, and I know with their help that my child will be kindergarten-ready. I also know if he is behind in any area, they will communicate with me, and together, we prepare him.

While it may not be encouraging to hear that 50 percent of children are not prepared for kindergarten, for me, it came as a kind of relief. I realized I wasn't alone and many other parents also must feel like they are failing. The truth is, many parents continue to struggle, year after year, trying to get their children up to speed, not realizing it may never come.

It is my belief each and every child deserves the chance to be ready. With the help of Child Care Aware and Parent Aware programs, preparation is more streamlined, more comprehensive, and less stressful for parents. Each and every day, the child care professionals teach my child new things, and this is so important to both me and my child. Quality child care professionals are irreplaceable.

- Annette Weaver, Pine Technical College/Child Care Aware of Minnesota Northeast

Are you interested in using Parent Aware to find quality child care? Call 800-890-5399, or visit www.parentawareratings.org. Also, if you live in Pine County and have a child between the ages of three and five, you may qualify for up to $4,000 in financial assistance for placing your child in a Parent Aware-rated program.

PHOTO at top (L to R): The Weaver family; Austin, Annette, Cole, and Tobias.

No comments: